1. We have the full support of the sheriff’s department for the memorial ride. They will be escorting us down to the site and closing down Steven's Canyon road for us while we are there so we'll have plenty of room to pay our respects. Additionally, in light of the situation, they have encouraged as many members of their team to come out to the start site (Foothill College) to mingle with us. Both Roaring Mouse and Third Pillar welcome their support and offer of services. If you feel comfortable, please feel free to approach them.
2. Alto Velo/Webcor has offered to provide safety support for the memorial ride. They have orange vest and paddles and will post themselves at the busy intersections.
3. Yes, this will be rain or shine (there have been some questions about this).
4. Parking at Foothill College: We have secured free parking in Lot 1 (the one closest to the football field) from 2pm – 6pm. If cars are parked in other lots, or in Lot 1 for times outside of 2-6pm, they must purchase a $2 parking pass from machines throughout the parking lots (bogus, but what was possible on such short notice).
5. ***MOST IMPORTANTLY*** :-)
It is going to be very important for the image of cycling that during the ride we ride in an orderly fashion and keep the group as tight as possible. Unfortunately, a lot of talk among non-cyclists has been comment that "cyclists are crazy" and that we "run red lights" and this "was bound to happen". We may get a lot of press coverage around this ride and having us appear mature, orderly and professional will help dispel some of those stereotypes. On that note, we should ALL encourage each other and others during the ride to be orderly.
It's going to be a GREAT ride and one that would make Matt and Kristy proud.